CBS was established in 1928, when founder William Paley purchased 16 independent radio stations and christened them the Columbia Broadcast System. Today, with more than 200 television stations and affiliates reaching virtually every home in the United States, CBS's total network lineup was watched by more than 130 million people a week during the 2012/2013 season. The Network has the #1 drama/scripted program, NCIS; #1 sitcom, THE BIG BANG THEORY; #1 newsmagazine, 60 MINUTES; and #1 daytime drama, THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. Its programming arms include CBS Entertainment, CBS News and CBS Sports.
The CBS Internship Program is designed to provide students with exposure to various departments within the television/entertainment industry. The Comedy Development intern will work closely with the department to:
- Read story areas, outlines, and drafts for various development projects in an effort to understand the development process.
- Review writer samples and provide brief coverage with analysis.
- Assist with office duties such as heavy filing, creating binders and documents, archiving, and maintaining internal databases.
- Support assistants with phone/desk coverage.
- Must be enrolled in a full-time accredited college or university.
- Must have a passion for the entertainment industry, specifically television comedy.
- Eager to learn, self-starter, "no task too small" attitude.
- Have strong organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.