- Headquarters:Palo Alto, CA
- Size: 10000+ employees
- Founded: 2003
- Type: Company - Public (TSLA)
- Industry: Manufacturing
- Revenue: $2 to $5 billion (USD) per year
- Competitors: Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz International
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design, manufacture, sell, install and service the world’s best solar technology, energy storage systems, and electric vehicles, providing customers the opportunity to generate, store and consume energy entirely sustainably.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. Based in California, Tesla’s workforce spans across four continents. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.
Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional philosophy of inter-disciplinary collaboration. Each member of the team is expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. We’re tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems—and we wouldn’t succeed without our shared passion for making the world a better place.
Our Finance team is deeply engrained in the functional areas of the business and partners heavily with the leadership team on critical decisions. Team members expected to have the skills to analyze data and surface takeaways, and communicate recommendations to leaders at all levels in the company. Through the intern program, we are looking to find the next wave of talent to drive these efforts.
Duties are assigned and prioritized based upon the team's needs and include:
- Performing rigorous analyses on historical and projected financial performance
- Providing strategic insights, hypotheses, and conclusions based upon this analysis
- Aggregating disparate forms of data to drive tangible results and long-lasting impact
- Developing and enhancing financial models and decision-making tools
- Prepare and deliver capstone project and presentation to Finance leadership at end of internship period.
Tesla Motors Finance team is small and dynamic, comprised of four subgroups: Financial Planning & Analysis, Engineering Finance, Manufacturing Finance, and Sales, Marketing and Service (SMS) Finance. Interns will be assigned to one of our four sub-groups, based on prior experience, interests, and educational background.
Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) works with our Finance and Accounting leadership team, and the Engineering Finance, Manufacturing Finance, and SMS Finance subgroups to:
- Consolidate inputs on business activities and develop financial projections; maintain projections and track actual financial performance against plan
- Design reporting tools, evaluate financial and operational metrics, and provide meaningful analysis to company leadership
Engineering Finance works with the Supply Chain and Engineering teams to:
- Track, report, and proactively manage the cost of our existing products (e.g. Model S, X)
- Drive cost optimization in product development for future products, such as the Model 3, with a focus on establishment and attainment of cost targets.
Manufacturing Finance works with the Manufacturing, Quality, and Supply Chain teams to:
- Lead manufacturing cost improvement and investment management for Model S, X, 3, and Tesla Energy
- Evaluate business cases to inform automation, manufacturing scope, and manufacturing location decisions; provide feedback on estimated manufacturing costs for future programs in development
Sales, Marketing and Service (SMS) Finance works with the Sales, Services and Marketing teams to:
- Lead pricing efforts for Model S, X and 3, including options and services, and business planning for global retail, service and sales enablement
- Develop and evaluate ROI for new markets, new business models, superchargers, pre-owned vehicles, and services; Drive profitability at the global, regional, country, and location levels.
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, MBA or advanced degree in a relevant Finance, Accounting, Engineering and or other technical relevant program
- A robust analytical skill-set
- Excellent modeling skills (e.g. Microsoft Office applications)
- Ability to work independently, detail-oriented, and execution focused
- Strong verbal, written and presentation skills
- Highly collaborative and team-oriented
- Ability to work 40+ hours plus
- This role is available across various Tesla locations, including headquarters in Palo Alto, CA & the factory in Fremont, CA – must be able to relocate for the duration of your internship.