For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
- Students will work with scientists and engineers to provide research in the areas of remote sensing, sensor networks, radiation detection, seismic monitoring, bio detection, cyber security or interactive data mining.
- Gather and analyze the data or information in support of scientific research.
- Communicate research project(s) and document work.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Under limited direction and supervision will conduct research in assigned area.
- Perform technical assignments of a advanced degree of complexity and provide advanced technical support to scientists in research and development projects.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing an undergraduate degree in Mathematics, Bio-Engineering Psychology, Chemical Engineer, Materials Science Engineer, Biochemistry Engineer, Computer Science, Physical Science, Political, or Language Sciences.
- Ability to apply basic and scientific approaches to problem-solving (plan, analyze and execute) based on the level of education.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or a recent Bachelors or Masters graduate within one year.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in Mathematics, Bio-Engineering Psychology, Computer Science, Physical Science, Political or Language Sciences.
- Experience applying advanced engineering or scientific principles to solve technical problems.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: None, L, or Q depending upon location of assignment. (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer academic break; a co-op position, full-time during the academic semester/quarter, or a year-round part-time position during the academic year and full time during academic breaks.) Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/ for additional student employment information.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.