For more than 20 years, AlloSource’s allografts have been the biologic solutions our surgeon customers use to deliver better care to their patients. As one of the largest and most respected nonprofit tissue banks in the United States, AlloSource develops, processes and distributes over 200 types of life-saving and life-enhancing allografts for use in a variety of medical procedures. Our commitment to honoring the gift of tissue donation motivates us to develop innovative allografts and lead the way in cellular and tissue therapies.
AlloSource is looking for a summer intern for our R&D Department. The internship program is designed to give students the opportunity to obtain hands-on experience and to link classroom studies or work related knowledge in our work environment. Students will learn about the industry/profession, develop skills, make connections, and enhance their resume.
*Students must be currently enrolled in college must meet the Internship specific requirements.
Summary: Assist the AlloSource Innovation team in scientific and engineering activities such as biomechanical analyses, characterization and histology of tissue samples, design of experiments and general biomedical engineering support of proof of concept studies that evaluate new technological approaches in regenerative medicine. Literature search and writing of scientific reports is required. In summary this position will require an understanding of biomedical engineering, microbiology, biomechanics and safe laboratory operations as well as good communication skills.
Project work will include:
- Learn and use laboratory skills for characterizing human cells and tissue (histology, biochemical analysis and cell culture techniques)
- Preparing samples for histological analysis (sectioning, staining and use of optical microscope)
- Lean and report on how to design experiments to evaluate a particular new idea for a regenerative medicine application
- Follow instructions for safe laboratory practices
- Perform literature searches and write scientific reports of results from laboratory studies
- Give a presentation of learnings and accomplishments at the end of the summer
- Education: Current matriculation in a college level biomedical engineering or similar program (Junior or Senior status preferred)
- Knowledge: recent coursework and laboratory experience in: biology, chemistry, engineering, biomedical engineering, microbiology, cell culture, or similar biomedically related disciplines.
- Skills: MS Office Suite, literature search, laboratory skills Abilities: Good communication skills (written & verbal)
- Lifting Requirements: up to 25 lbs infrequently
- Biohazard Handling: yes, standard PPE required
- Standing: 2 – 3 hrs
**The Intern position will be 40 hr/week and will run approximately from June 4th – August 10th.