The Laboratory Intern will learn and be trained in professional laboratory procedures at WSSC’s Consolidated Laboratory Facility. Perform general laboratory duties following multiple step processes, in accordance with established and documented procedures. Learn how WSSC tests and analyzes drinking water to ensure it meets government standards.
- Maintains, cleans and prepares glassware and other laboratory appliances for the use in analytical procedures
- Transports and prepares samples including pouring, filtering and splitting
- Performs a variety of chemical, microbiological and physical analysis on aqueous and non-aqueous samples
- Archives, stores and disposes samples
- Maintains records of all processes involving samples
- Accesses database for sample information and data uploading
- Performs other related duties as required.
Work Environment And Physical Demands
- This position may require extended periods of standing, sitting, and exposure to chemical elements.
- Some repetitive movements and repetitive lifting of minimal weights, as well as occasional lifting of weights up to 100lbs.
- Manual dexterity and precision are also required in the use of laboratory equipment and tools.
Required Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- General knowledge of laboratory principles, terminology, techniques and instrumentation
- Knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices ( GLP )
- Ability to use and maintain personal protective safety equipment
- Ability to collect and prepare samples for analysis in accordance with standard operating procedures and quality control requirements
- Ability to effectively prioritize work and manage time in order to meet deadlines
- Ability to use Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word and Excel
Minimum Education, Experience Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled as a full-time student in college or university
- Must have a 2.5 GPA or higher