The Marketing Intern will support all aspects of the marketing department including the planning, creation, and execution of all marketing functions. This includes, but is not limited to, writing press releases, taking photos and videos, graphic design, writing ad copy, loading website content, event planning, social media and media relations.
May-August. Hours are flexible as needed but can be anywhere from 30-40 hours a week.
March 15, 2018
Location: Benton Harbor-St. Joseph branch
- Recommended to be working toward a degree in Business, Marketing, Journalism, Communications, Graphic Design, Writing, or a related field.
- Previous internship experience in a related field is preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite is a plus.
- Embody strong verbal and written communication skills for diverse audiences.
- Be an enthusiastic self-starter who will take initiative on projects.
- Be a team player who's willing to grow and develop skill sets out of his or her comfort zone.
- Demonstrate the YMCA's areas of focus of youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
- Demonstrate the ability to successfully meet deadlines.
- Write press releases for local media outlets.
- Gather and curate impact stories from members and staff.
- Take photos and videos of various YMCA programs, events, and camps.
- Aid in management of social media channels by producing and formatting content.
- Aid in data entry and tracking marketing metrics.
- Supports management of the website and mobile app.
- Assists in creation of monthly member and staff employee newsletters.
Dates and Compensation
The intern will work with Marketing staff on determining the best times and dates for availability. While this internship is unpaid, interns will receive complimentary access to the Niles-Buchanan branch, the Benton Harbor-St. Joseph branch, and the YMCA of Michiana per the reciprocity agreement. Internship curriculum can be developed to fit/fulfill any class requirements.
About the YMCA of Southwest Michigan
YMCA of Southwest Michigan is the second largest charitable non-profit organization in Berrien County. The Y is dedicated to helping families live healthier, more productive lives in spirit, mind, and body. The association includes two branches: Niles-Buchanan branch and Benton Harbor-St. Joseph branch. Together, the YMCA has almost 15,000 members and 300 employees.