This internship is located in our Stoughton, MA office and would occur over the summer months of May-August.
SICK is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of sensors, safety systems and automatic
identification products for industrial applications. Whether automating factories or optimizing distribution centers, SICK provides cost-effective solutions. We have been a technology
leader for more than 70 years and with more than 50 global subsidiaries, SICK has a presence all over the world. Leveraging a history of innovation, our company has pioneered a long line of industry firsts – such as the first safety light curtain, the first color sensor, and many more.
An intern at SICK is involved in the day to day activities within the business through immersion into different projects. The intern will have the opportunity to work within a team to gain knowledge and first-hand experience of what a career in this industry would be like. This position has primary responsibility for hands-on design and support of SICK products through entire product lifecycle. The Software Engineer will use their skills to capture customer requirements, devise appropriate solutions and evaluate results for function, reliability and performance. Work with a multi-national team to design new product offerings and enhance performance of existing production lines.
- Work on a chosen project with the assistance of the manager, mentor, and team.
- Work closely with the manager and a selected mentor to understand systems, processes, and key information.
- Actively seek out information to learn how SICK operates as a business (products, departments, etc.).
- Interface with other departments and interns to gain knowledge of the business, products, positions and more.
- Provide innovative recommendations on how SICK can improve.
- Complete a final presentation at the close of the internship that outlines the involved project(s) and knowledge gained.
- Provide feedback on the internship experience at the close of the internship.
- Ability to design code to meet software requirements with limited supervision.
- Plan, develop and execute tests to verify the operation, reliability and performance of targeted product and or systems.
- Ensure that product quality and reliability requirements are incorporated into the design.
- Contribute to project teams involving cross-functional participants.
- Develop and execute projects in the product development process in full compliance with all design control, quality, and company regulations and national and international
regulatory body requirements. This could include the understanding of change control, validation, documentation practices, and design control requirements.
- Regular attendance and timeliness.
- Carry out other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned or required.
Education and Experience
- High school degree or equivalent
- Must be enrolled in an accredited university/college program in Electrical, Software Engineering, Computer Science or related field
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-directed and able to work without supervision
- Energetic and eager to tackle new projects and ideas
- 0-2 years of professional experience in software design for product development.
- Some Image Processing or Dimensioning Algorithm experience.
- Proficient in C++.
- Strong analytical, design, debugging and decision making skills.
- Some design and development experience with C, C++, C#, or Java.
- Some implementation of signal processing algorithms using Matlab, Halcon, Intel IPP, Open CV, C/C++/C# or assembler.
- Some design and development experience with script based languages such as LUA, Python or Perl.
- Some design and development experience with application
frameworks such as .NET, embedded Linux and Real Time Operating Systems.
- Ability to participate in multidiscipline projects; report status to project leaders and management.
- Ability to manage time effectively.
- Ability to thoroughly understand technical issues and propose solutions to resolve issues.
- Ability to self-start and learn on the fly.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access,
PowerPoint) and Internet applications
- Legally permitted to work in the United States
- Ability to work in a general office environment
Ethics and Integrity Personal
Growth and Learning, Customer Focus, Personal Accountable, Building Effective
Technical Learning, Problem
solving, Drive for Results, Organizing, Personal Accountability
If you thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented work environment that offers challenges and the
opportunity for growth, we’re the place for you! SICK, Inc. has
several locations throughout domestic US and offers competitive wages and an
excellent benefits program. Qualified candidates can apply online by clicking the
apply online button. Visit us at www.sickusa.com.