About Strategic Communications
The Strategic Communications segment of FTI Consulting is one of the world's most highly regarded communications consultancies with a 30-year track record of designing and executing communications strategies for clients managing financial, regulatory and reputational challenges. The Strategic Communications segment serves as trusted advisors to management teams and Boards of Directors seeking to seize opportunities, manage crises, navigate market disruptions, articulate their brand, stake a competitive position, and preserve their permission to operate. Services of the Strategic Communications segment include financial communications, corporate reputation and public affairs, with specialty offerings that include M&A communications, crisis communications, issues management, litigation communications, corporate governance, shareholder activism, proxy advisory, restructuring communications, employee engagement, change communications, strategy consulting, research, as well as digital and creative communications.
A Day in the Life as an Intern
The Strategic Communications practice of FTI Consulting is seeking to hire summer interns to support the implementation of strategic communications programs for a variety of clients across the Americas for a 10 week program. While a strong interest in communications is a must, our internship is not exclusive to public relations or communications applicants. Knowledge of the financial markets, economics, data analysis, employee engagement, social media intelligence, media or government relations is applicable. Successful candidates should have excellent communication (both written and oral) and critical-thinking skills, be able to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced and deadline driven environment.
We are looking for interns in each of the following practices and sectors:
- Public Affairs
- Government Investigations
- Energy & Natural Resources
We are also looking for interns in the following city:
- Washington, DC
As part of the program, you will have the opportunity to learn and have exposure to a full range of strategic communications services. You will also participate in an intensive training program, which includes an introduction to FTI's business, databases and processes as well as sessions focused on the development of practical research, media relations and investor relations skills. The internship is designed to introduce entry-level candidates to the inner workings of an international communications firm and to help develop essential written and oral communication skills required for this industry. Interns will be paid hourly and are expected to work 40 hours per week.
- Assist in drafting communications materials (e.g. writing press releases and briefing documents)
- Compile, track, summarize and report on media coverage
- Conduct background research on companies and core capability topics
- Assist with maintaining contact lists, editorial forward features lists, and event calendars
- Assist with corporate communications and media relations engagements (e.g. liaising with journalists, distributing press releases, providing support for press conferences)
- Assist with financial communications and investor relations engagements (e.g. writing earnings related materials, assisting with investment community marketing plans, providing strategic counsel on capital markets activity)
- Assist on new business initiatives (e.g. conducting research on prospects, creating and editing PowerPoint presentations and proposals, etc.)
What Are We Looking For?
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree (junior or senior standing) or a recent graduate with a strong academic record
What Else Are We Looking For?
- Strong attention to detail
- Previous related internship experience
- Excellent research, writing and organization skills
- Highly motivated and able to work easily in both large team environments or independently
- Analytical approach to creating work product
- Social, enthusiastic and eager to learn and have an ability to work well within a team
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work on multiple assignments
- Competency in using Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint