Job Title: Summer Intern, Air Traffic Services
Reports To: Senior Manager, Air Traffic Services
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Prepared Date: 2/13/2018
Location: Warrenton, VA
Status: Temporary Full Time - Summer
The Air Traffic Services (ATS) Intern position is designed to provide an undergraduate college student interested in business aviation with exposure to various aspects of NBAA’s Air Traffic Services operation. The intern will assist NBAA’s subject matter experts with functions involving day-to-day air traffic issues that impact member companies, gaining exposure to a wide variety of Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and NBAA computer software programs supporting operators within the National Airspace System. The student will leave the internship with a solid foundation of traffic flow management and the Collaborative Decision Making (CDM) process. The location for this internship is the Federal Aviation Administration’s Air Traffic Control System Command Center (ATCSCC) in Warrenton, VA.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To succeed in this internship, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Develops a solid understanding of air traffic flow management principles and initiatives, and how they impact NBAA member companies
- Works with IT tools to assist members in resolving air traffic related issues, including: Traffic Situation Display (TSD), Flight Schedule Monitor (FSM), Departure Spacing tool (DSP), Operational Information System (OIS), National Traffic Manager Logs (NTML), Tactical Customer Advocate (TCA) request pages, Advisory database and NBAA’s internal online scheduling tool
- Assists ATS staff in updating member profiles, contacts, emails, aircraft tail numbers, etc.
- Assists ATS staff in updating the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) manual with changes to procedures
- Assists with production of ATS updates to subscribers including: morning, afternoon, evening, closing
- Supports ATS staff with disseminating flight critical issues to members during severe weather events (answers emails, transmits advisories, etc.)
- Assists with responding to member inquires
- Assists with special projects, including but not limited to IT automation enhancements, Flight Plan Summit Coordination, Business Aviation Conference & Exhibition (NBAA-BACE) booth coordination, etc.
- Participates in FAA traffic management classes (50113), if available, during internship period
- Participates in several operations staff weekly calls
- Reviews ATS section of NBAA website content for accuracy and recommends updates
- Follows and administers all company policies and acts as a role model in adherence to policies
- Ability to work various non-standard shifts that coincide with ATS staff schedules (some weekends, some evenings, some mornings throughout the intern period)
- Travel: None
- Budgetary Responsibility: None
- Supervision Received: The intern will be provided with detailed instructions for each project assigned. Once a project is assigned, the intern is expected to work independently in achieving the project goals with supervision as required/needed. All work products will be closely reviewed by the supervisor.
- Decision Making – Scope of Authority: Works closely within clearly defined procedures
- Contacts: Interacts daily with Air Traffic Services staff and FAA representatives in order to gather information from them. However, there are times when reporting information is also required. Respectful of unique relationship between FAA and NBAA and acts with upmost professionalism in all interactions.
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
- Visits at least one fixed-base operator in the local area as well as takes designated tours of FAA air traffic facilities as arranged by ATS staff
- Attends at least one NBAA Intern Coalition event of interest
Specific requirements include but are not limited to:
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to interact successfully with coworkers
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in a team as well as independently
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Good decision making and problem-solving skills
- Solid mastery of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Ability to utilize NBAA and FAA computer systems (training is provided)
- Familiarity with a variety of office equipment such as fax and copier machines
- Excellent organizational skills
- Currently enrolled in or a recent graduate of an accredited bachelor’s degree program
- Experience with organizing projects effectively and successfully
- Currently enrolled in or a recent graduate of an accredited bachelor’s degree program, with an aviation major, preferably in an Air Traffic Control or Dispatch program
- Business aviation experience (through an internship or temporary employment) in a flight department or charter operation
- FAA-certificated private pilot certificate or dispatcher’s license
NBAA is seeking an Air Traffic Services (ATS) Intern to assist the association’s ATS team with functions involving day-to-day air traffic issues that impact member companies.
Throughout this eight-week internship, which will take place at the Federal Aviation Administration’s Air Traffic Control System Command Center in Warrenton, VA, the intern will develop an understanding of air traffic flow management principles and initiatives as they work with the ATS team to support member companies operating within the National Airspace System.
NBAA is a nonprofit trade association serving a dynamic and growing industry. From our offices in downtown Washington, DC, and Warrenton, VA, staff members deliver top-notch customer service to our members across the world. NBAA offers generous benefits and a collegial work environment.
Candidates for this internship must be currently enrolled in or a recent graduate of a bachelor’s degree program, ideally with an aviation major. Students must have strong interpersonal skills, as the intern will interact daily with FAA staff, and should be proficient at learning computer systems.
Internship/ Part time job