Working for Equity Residential means being part of a community – employees and residents – striving to provide the best in apartment living, speaking boldly about new ideas for innovation, and inspiring creativity in the ways we live and work together. That’s what our Be.Think.Play.Live. culture is all about.
We are seeking motivated, personable college students or graduating seniors with an interest in real estate, hospitality, and sales for 8-12 week summer internships in each of our core markets (NY, DC, Boston, San Francisco, Southern California, and Seattle). Equity Residential Interns will have the opportunity to learn about the exciting and fast-paced residential property management industry from the ground up — with an emphasis on sales and customer service.
As an Intern, you will work closely with our top property management teams to learn the day-to-day operations of leasing and property management and provide exceptional service to residents. Each day will be unique, requiring an ability to prioritize, multitask, think creatively, take initiative, and employ a diverse set of skills. You will experience many facets of our business through job shadowing and an on-the-job training rotation which includes learning the sales process, customer service and resident relations, pricing, financial performance, and facilities maintenance. In addition, Interns will have the opportunity to shadow Regional Managers, meet corporate team members, assist with regional or community-specific projects, and more. Our goal is that you will leave the program with a strong sense of how a successful real estate management business operates, and with a desire to join the Equity Residential team after graduation. The typical career progression at Equity Residential begins with a Leasing Consultant role, which is what our internship will prepare you for. From there, we offer outstanding opportunities for growth and development into management positions.
WHO YOU ARE
- A Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are clear and effective, helping you connect well with others.
- A Team Player. You are united with teammates in delivering the best experience to current and prospective residents.
- You are flexible and able to juggle appointments and personal interactions with teammates and residents smoothly.
- You are an idea person and like coming up with smart solutions to new challenges.
- You put yourself in others’ shoes and strive for positive outcomes.
- You invest extra energy to reach your goals.
- Solution-Oriented. You follow through on commitments, letting residents know that they matter.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Learn from the best by shadowing Leasing Consultants, Assistant Community Managers, Community Managers, and other associates as applicable at your assigned community/communities.
- Demonstrate a genuine interest in real estate by learning the selling features and advantages of an Equity Residential community and shopping your competition in your local market.
- Develop the skill set for a Leasing Consultant role with the intent of preparing to begin your career with Equity in that capacity after graduation.
- Connect with prospective residents through phone calls, appointments, and follow-up communications.
- Show off our communities by walking the properties with prospective residents and delivering a persuasive sales pitch about the benefits of living in an Equity Residential apartment home.
- Manage the leasing process by guiding new residents through each step, completing and verifying all lease applications and sharing results with applicants.
- Keep accurate records of prospective and current residents, as well as rent and inventory.
- Handle transactions like accepting rent and deposits and inspecting move-ins and move-outs.
- Collaborate with talented teammates to identify and solve any apartment issues that arise.
- Broaden your understanding of our business by shadowing your Regional Manager and other corporate team members as time allows.
- Collaborate with other Interns to create a presentation summarizing your experience.
This is a paid 8-12 week internship with the following qualifications:
- Currently attending a college or university in a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree program — preferably in a Hospitality, Real Estate, Business, or Marketing discipline.
- Interested in a career in the real estate/property management business.
- Strong communication, organizational, and multitasking skills with a sharp attention to detail and professional presence.
- Demonstrated proficiency in working with computers including word processing, calendar management, software/database, and social media.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Available to work a flexible schedule, including weekends.
- Prior experience in leasing, sales, or hospitality a plus.
- Current juniors or above preferred; graduating seniors welcome.